Sounds very simple to understand yet when i needed a little more info it was hard to find. If you have webmaster tools the you could find a very simple analysis under a search query tab on your webmaster tools account. Lets get a little deep into what clicks, impressions , CTR and queries actually are. Below is a piece of information from google that provides information on each of the tearms.
- Queries: The total number of search queries that returned pages from your site results over the given period. (These numbers can be rounded, and may not be exact.)
- Query: A list of the top search queries that returned pages from your site.
- Impressions: The number of times pages from your site were viewed in search results, and the percentage increase/decrease in the daily average impressions compared to the previous period. (The number of days per period defaults to 30, but you can change it at any time.)
- Clicks: The number of times your site’s listing was clicked in search results for a particular query, and the percentage increase/decrease in the average daily clicks compared to the previous period.
- CTR (clickthrough rate): The percentage of impressions that resulted in a click to your site, and the percentage increase/decrease in the daily average CTR compared to the previous period.
- Avg. position: The average position of your site on the search results page for that query, and the change compared to the previous period. Green indicates that your site’s average position is improving.
To calculate average position, google takes into account the ranking of your site for a particular query (for example, if a query returns your site as the #1 and #2 result, then the average position would be 1.5). More details are provided on the Webmaster centeral
Now since we have that out of the way the reason why this is so important is because the closer you are to the #1 page on Google for a particular keyword the more impressions you get. The more impressions you get the more clicks you get. On webmaster tools under search queries you will find a graph. This graph has two lines on it. One is for impressions and the other is for clicks. The are related to each other. As in when the impressions increase the clicks increase. The relation between the two varies greatly but are mostly in some sort of balance.
Once you have chosen a key word to target for your website and check its audience through Google insights you can measure the amount of time it has been search for and the amount of clicks it has got. This helps you analyse how well your keywords are doing and plan further. Webmaster tools also allows you to see the ranking of your keyword in a Google search. You can also further sort out you data into SEARCHES, LOCATION, TRAFFIC against a timeline giving you the exact data you need. With this data in hand you can further enhance your keyword targets increasing your SEO and search rankings.
The following data can also be obtained from a good bunch of web analytic tools.